Okay, so the weather in the Seattle area has been a bit typical lately (gray clouds and rain), but every day it's not raining, I've been thinking about grilling. And every time I mention that I'm going to grill dinner, my husband begs me to make grilled peppers stuffed with goat cheese. I guess he likes it. It is pretty amazing (if you like peppers and goat cheese).
Of course these are gluten-free, but saying it's dairy free is a stretch. These peppers are filled with cheese. There is an option to use a cheese alternative, but you still need to use goat cheese.
Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
2 yellow bell peppers
2 red bell peppers
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, or cheese alternative, Vegan Gourmet, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
Heat the grill to med-high.
1. Cut the bell peppers lengthwise into halves, discarding the stem ends and membranes.
2. Place 1 inch water in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Drop the peppers in and boil for 2 minutes. Drain, cut side down on paper towels.
3. Combine the goat cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, onions and basil in a bowl and mix well.
4. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture into each bell pepper half.
5. Fold a large piece of foil to make a rectangle tray (big enough to hold the peppers). Arrange the bell pepper halves inside the foil and place another piece of foil over the top and seal both pieces together. Cut slits into the top to allow steam to escape.
76. Arrange the foil packet on the grill and grill for 5-6 minutes or until the bell peppers are crisp-tender and the cheese is melted. To serve, cut into smaller wedges and serve immediately.
NOTE: you can bake these peppers if you don't have a grill. Place the peppers in a baking dish with a little water, Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
*This recipe is straight out of a
meal plan I used last year. It's so good, I put it in my 'favorite recipes' binder with 5 stars boldly drawn on. :)