Weekend Review

The weekend started off with a trip to Greenlake on Friday evening. The purpose of our trip was to pick up the race packet for the 5k I'd signed up for in June. The race was at 8am Saturday morning and everyone was advised to pick up their numbers and shoe tags the day before so that the lines weren't super long on the morning of. I was amazed at the set up as it was quite large and when I asked how many people were signed up - the answer was 5,000. Wow, WHAT!? It turned out that there were somewhere around 2,000 women on race day (I'm assuming quite a few didn't show up - the bib numbers started at 1 and went up to 5000). After picking up the packet we walked across the street and enjoyed some spaghetti while sitting out front at Armondo's. We tried to go to sleep early that night...
The next morning I woke up at 5:30 (the alarm had been set for 6am). It was probably a good thing because even though I got up so early we were barely to the race in time (we tend to be late for things these days). It would have been perfect timing if I hadn't needed to empty my bladder before running. The line was really long at the portables so I opted for Starbucks.
The line was long there as well and it was super slow (even though the women were using the men's restroom too!). At about 8am I was still in line and someone told us that the start time had been delayed 5 minutes due to the backup at the bathrooms. So I got to go and I made it back before the herd was let loose. The 5k went really well and I beat my personal goals.

I learned a very important lesson at this race...Do not wear cotton when running in public! I was a little embarrassed when I saw the pics...I knew I'd sweat more than usual, but I hadn't realized it was *that* bad. Whoops!!

After the race we basked in the morning sun on the rooftop of Starbucks and enjoyed some treats. Then we strolled along the lake quite a ways before I started looking for my phone and couldn't find it. Pete called it about 4 times and I held the diaper bag up to my ear and I didn't hear a sound. I searched and searched through the bag and couldn't find it. I was sure I'd left it at Starbucks. Pete called and asked them to go look for it up top where we'd been sitting. We got to Starbucks and they reported that they didn't find the phone. We went up to check it out ourselves and asked a few people if they'd seen it. We didn't find it there. So I searched through the diaper bag one more time and like magic, my phone appeared. When we got home I decided to work in the dirt a bit. I got my banana tree planted and filled in the area with a few new plants and some black beauty bark - I had no idea they made black - but seeing that it said 'natural' and it was a little less than the other stuff, we got it - and I really like it. Then we cleaned up and headed out to a BBQ. I was ready for bed early by the time we got home (and we got home quite early)!
Today we were up early (7am due to Hailey waking up). We went to the 9am service at church - that was really early for us.
Our church is in the middle of building a new sanctuary (we currently use a large multi purpose room which serves as a gym during the week for the school). The service ended a little early so everyone could go check out the new building and write names and scriptures on the walls. It was pretty awesome to see so many people writing on the walls.

After church we went to get some donuts at Chucks....only to find out they are closed on Sundays! I even passed up donuts at church because I'd been so excited to get a chucks donut!!!!! We went to QFC instead. I was really on a donut kick this morning.
We had a fairly relaxing day after church. I fell asleep on the lounger on the deck and Pete and Hailey cuddled up and napped on the couch inside. Hailey and I continued our lazy day while Pete went to work on installing a cat door. :) We're hoping the litter box will be a thing of the past soon. Pete also mowed the lawn and changed some outlets - it was quite the productive day for him! I did some trip planning (still not done) and finally got some laundry done (quite a feat!!).

Oh, I almost forgot - today I put Hailey's hair in a ponytail and it was SO cute. I just love that girl!!!

Going Cheap

I love a good deal.

Pete hates spending money on anything.

I love decorating a house.

Pete thinks decorating is a waste of money.

We bought a 1980's house that had original light fixtures.

I wanted new light fixtures.

Pete didn't want to spend money on light fixtures.

We found basic light fixtures at Costco for $5 each - I convinced Pete that these would be better than what we had (little did I know).

Pete installed the lights sometime last winter.

More than HALF the time I flip a switch to turn on a light it DOESN'T turn on - it makes this high pitched noise right after the light flashes on then off. Then I have to wait and turn the switch off and on again usually 2 more times before the light will actually come on.

Thankfully we found 2 nicer new in box light fixtures when we were at St. Vincent De Paul one day and we scored them for $2.50 each. Pete replaced the fixture in Hailey's room and I love it. The other fixture is sitting on the floor in the man cave and has been for months. I just tried to turn on the hall light and it flaked out. That's why I decided I must sit and post a rant about it here.

Sometimes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. And other times you get lucky and find awesome deals at thrift stores (my secret hobby). Now if only I can convince Pete to switch out the hall light already....

Little Itsy Bitsy Baby haileY (LIBBY for short)

LIBBY had her 6 month check up today. She weighs a whopping 12lbs 1.5oz and is in the 5th percentile. She is going down on the curve - which happens to be the wrong way...so I'm supposed to try to shove in another feeding during the day. That's in addition to the 3 times a day of solids fed to her after nursing.

She is 25" long (I think it might have been 25 and 1, 2 or 3 quarters, but I forgot the take home paperwork at the office and they are mailing it to me - then I will be all official). LIBBY is in the 25th percentile for height (if I remember right - again blaming the missing paperwork).

LIBBY is healthy as a clam (are clam's healthy?).

Hailey: 6 months old

We went to see my cousin's new baby girl Isla last night (note the picture to the right is of Hailey - we forgot to get pictures while visiting Isla). She was just a day old. She is super cute and slept the whole time we were there.

One thing you don't realize as you are bringing up a baby is just how fast they grow. I held little Isla (7lbs 4oz when she was born - almost a whole pound bigger than hailey was at birth) and found it REALLY hard to remember Hailey ever being so small. I looked at Isla and then over at Hailey and suddenly realized how much Hailey has grown in such a short time.

Hailey is now starting to sit on her own, and stand while holding onto things. And she's about to have her first solid food!

We are going in for her 6 month check up next week. I am guessing she's on the high side of 14 lbs now - maybe even 15lbs by now. She's little, but she's so big!

She is enjoying her time with her grandma's during the week and her grandma's are delighted to have her. We have been blessed!

Hailey's newest habits include sucking on two fingers, sucking her big toes, making a cabbage patch kid face and cuddling on mommy. The cuddling is SO sweet, but also is making bed/naptime a bit harder. She's so pleasant, closing her eyes and resting her head on me when she's tired. The second I put her down she rolls over and screams. I've had to get tough and walk away. She eventually goes to sleep.

She's has been much more interactive with play time. She grabs toys and rolls all over the place. In fact, the other day I put her on the rug in her room, and walked into the computer room next door and then heard "thump, thump, thump". I walked into the hallway and found Hailey in the doorway. I think she was trying to follow me!

That's all for now. I'm sure a post with pics of Hailey eating solids for the first time is soon to come. I just need to figure out what we're going to start her with....banana's? avocado? sweet potato? rice cereal? It's time for me to do some more research I suppose....

Italy vacation planning

One day not long ago I was dreaming about taking a trip to Italy. I've never been to Europe and I've always wanted to go. Of course part of my day dreaming meant researching airfare prices. I just happened to find a super deal on airfare which made me realize that maybe my dream could be a reality. Pete and I discussed the benefit of going while Hailey is little (free for her to eat and sleep and fly and perfect size for carrying around all day). I was teasing about purchasing the tickets when Pete shocked me and said "do it!". So I did.

Now we are in the midst of trying to plan our accommodations. We hadn't started because we hadn't quite determined where in Italy we were going to visit. Last Thursday night we finally sat down with a whiteboard, calendar, and a map. We discussed and discussed and finally decided on a route and now we are working at making reservations. If it were just Pete and me traveling, I think we wouldn't be so careful about making reservations...but with having a baby brings responsibility and now we feel like we need to make reservations and know where we're going so we can maximize our time abroad. I was getting REALLY nervous about things when everywhere I checked was already booked full. We are trying to stick to a budget, but are finding that Venice is expensive...and it's high season in Rome when we'll be there so the prices are high and places are booked up. Thankfully google has some tools which have proved helpful. In my gmail account I've been labeling emails by location and availability. I'd never used labels before, but this has been a lifesaver! Also, Pete and I are sharing a google doc with a list of all the places we've found and contacted and then tracking responses. If any of you need a link list of decent places to stay in Italy - hit me up for our list! We've searched the web high and low...and also are using the Rick Steves' Italy 2009 book (purchased just yesterday in hopes of finding more options at a reasonable cost). We've had to type in web address after web address and also filter through the expensive places and have ended up with a list of moderately priced apartments, hotels and bed and breakfasts throughout Italy.

Here are is the route we came up with and the number of nights in each:
Varenna (Lake Como) - 2 nights
Venice - 4 nights (fly from Venice to Naples for about 22euros/each)
Naples - 4 nights
Rome - 3 nights
Civita di Bagnoregio - 1 night (we might try to do this in a day trip on the way to Cinque Terre, not sure yet)
Cinque Terre - 3 nights
Milan - 1 night

If you have been to Italy before and see any flaws in our itinerary, feel free to call them out. Also, if you have recommendations for reasonably priced places to stay - feel free to leave me a comment with the info! The more the better. ;)

One thing I'm loving about Italy so far is the 18th century decoration in the rooms. I lost the site I was on that had the most regal looking rooms (and reasonably priced!)

Seems gold damask wallpaper or rich red, blues or gold damask bedding make even the least expensive bed and breakfasts seem deluxe! I love it so much - it's inspiring me to want to wallpaper our bedroom. :)

Going to Italy hadn't really seemed like reality until this weekend as we worked full time at locating accommodations and sending reservation requests. Now I'm SOOOOOOO excited I can barely focus on much else. I'm even more encouraged as I woke up this morning with about 15 new emails - half of which being responses saying that they DO have a room available for our stay. Yay!!!

Now if only our passports arrive in time...


Batty night

We had a visitor last night. I heard the noise and then Pete discovered this bat on our window screen. Her little friend (a bigger bat) kept flying by. We eventually chased the bat off the screen in hopes of getting some sleep.

Weekend review

We had a rather lazy weekend. I was going a little stir crazy on Saturday, so we packed ourselves into the car and headed out to run some errands (we didn't even know which way to turn out of our driveway - the goal was just to get out of the house). We ended up picking up a latte for me and a smoothie for Pete and made way to Issaquah, figuring there was something there we could waste our time on. We started at REI. We looked at bike things, camping things and running things. Lots of looking and no purchasing! :) We walked over to Target from there and found a few new long sleeve clothing items for Hailey. It seems that all we have are dresses for her and on the cooler days we've had a hard time finding warmer things for her to wear. We also picked up this handy travel seat. We thought it might be helpful to take on our trip to Italy next month. This contraption packs away real small and will fit on most chairs. And it was only $20 - which I thought was pretty decent considering I didn't have to make it myself! We tried it out today...Hailey didn't like it so much, but it probably didn't help that I put her in it when she was ready to eat.

We left Target and headed to the antique store. I LOVE antique stores and thankfully Pete didn't mind going. We spent over an hour in the antique store and I found quite a few items that I wouldn't mind having (as always). We found this little car and couldn't help but have Hailey pose for a picture on it. Thankfully it was $95 so it was really easy to pass up. She did a great job holding herself on it though! She seemed to like it.

Next up - Bellevue. We went to some car lots to look at trucks. Not the nice new shiny trucks, but the old beat up dingy ones that they had listed at way too high a price. We figured looking at a variety of trucks would help us narrow down our search. We had fun - as much fun as you can have looking at used cars I suppose.

One thing to note, Hailey has been extremely mommy focused this weekend. When Pete was holding her at one of the car lots she wouldn't take her eyes off me. If she was fussy, I would hold her and she would cuddle up and settle down. It was very sweet how she was so cuddly, but also not helpful when it came to bedtime. The last few nights she has been up several times in the night...and not just up to eat, but up crying a lot and then eating for 1/2 hour periods (unusual since she's usually a 10 minute eater). We're not sure if she's teething or just fighting a little bug...whatever it is, it's sad to see her get so upset (we're talking SCREAMING and SCREAMING when we put her down for a nap or for bed).

After another rough night of sleep (or lack of), Pete let me sleep in today. He took Hailey downstairs to play so I could get some rest. It was SO nice to sleep in SO late (we missed church, but decided it was a wise thing to do since it probably would have been a difficult service to get through with Hailey being so needy). Later in the morning Pete and Hailey came back upstairs and joined me in bed. Hailey slept on my chest as I laid on my back - it's been SO long since she's done that! The weekend has been full of cuddling and comforting Hailey..t. I held her close at bedtime tonight and just closed my eyes as I swayed back and forth....remembering that my girl is growing up and I need to treasure these times with her - even if she's not feeling well. We're hoping she's back to normal tomorrow for Lita and Roxanne (special visitor for Hailey!). They have a big day of fun planned!

Happy Monday everyone!

What's Next?

What was up with the weather today? It was a bit gloomy - something I'm not used to at this time of year. Pete and I slept in until 11:30 this morning (I got up to feed Hailey at 7:45 and then Pete got up and played with her for an hour or so while I went back to sleep and he and Hailey eventually came back to bed and fell asleep cuddling). The cats stayed in the same place all night and all day...sleeping. Hailey slept an unusually long nap this morning. Is it the weather making us all so lazy???

I have had a TON on my mind lately and have failed at posting any of it. So here is my first attempt....

I've been back at work on a 30hr/week schedule for a whole month now (though I am putting in close to 40 hours every week). My mother in law comes all the way from Auburn to watch Hailey on Monday and Wednesdays and I drop Hailey off at my mom's on Thursdays. I work from home on Tuesdays and as needed on Fridays. I like the schedule. It gives me just enough time in the week to slip on the old thinking cap and get all those wires connected and really working. I'm still exclusively breastfeeding - meaning I'm pumping at work 2-3 times a day. I've gotten the task down to a good 15-20 minutes. It's certainly not the most glamorous thing I've done...and the number of bags I carry to and from the office is a bit absurd. I was supposed to be back full time at the start of August. I'm not so fond of the idea and don't have full time child care lined up (I haven't tried too hard or at all...). My boss gave me until the end of August to get it figured out. The end of August is when my mom's commitment ends and also when my mother in law's jury duty begins. I'm not ready to quit work and I'm not ready to leave the house 5 days a week to continue my employment. With the whole going back to work feat I've been very 'eh, we'll figure something out' and then at the last minute we get the details figured out (i.e. who's watching Hailey wasn't finalized until several days before I was due back). I'm VERY lucky to have a very understanding boss and a pretty awesome team. If I didn't like either of them, I'm sure I would have quit, but the honest truth is that I'm enjoying getting up in the morning and leaving for work. Hailey seems to have a great time with her grandma's too...which is what makes me even more comfortable with what we have going. Too bad it's due to end at the end of the month. The big question now is this: What's next?

As some of you may know, Pete was in a head on collision 2 weekends ago. It sounds pretty bad doesn't it? Well, thankfully he walked away without much damage on his body. He had said he had a green light, but when the guy that hit him also claimed the same he questioned whether he really did have a green light or was negligent. Great news came in this week - the other driver ran a red light. WHEW! Huge relief for both Pete's ego and our pocket book. We have been surviving okay with just one car, but it does take a bit more coordinating. I think we're going to get a rental car tomorrow. We hadn't wanted to get a rental until we knew who's fault it really was and who's insurance was liable. We didn't have collision coverage on the truck since the value wasn't very high and if it had indeed been Pete's fault it would have been an unexpected expense. The insurance company determined that the truck is a total loss, so now we're waiting for an offer to come through. We hope it's a good one considering the truck had pretty low miles for a 1997 and was the top of the line dakota with 4wd and all. The big question here is: What's next?

In other news, I started training for a 5k. I am doing the couch to 5k program and just completed day 1 of week 6 tonight. I am NOT a runner. In fact I've always been one of those "I hate running" people. I have been pretty down about the baby weight as I haven't really lost any weight since right after Hailey was born and I'm not a fan of this new shape. I had decided not to buy any clothes for my current size, but I've lasted in this size for a bit longer than I had anticipated. My friend Kirsten told me that she ran a half marathon and I was SO impressed. First, she's not a runner, and second, a half marathon is LONG! I was inspired. She told me she had found a training program online and trained for the marathon for 3 months. Being that I wanted to drop a few sizes and get back in shape I decided that I better start working out and setting a goal like this was just what I needed to get off my rear. I'm not the kind of person who can just go to a gym and keep a commitment though. Most of my friends probably know I'm a bit pathetic in the commitment department. I have a commitment to friendships, but I'm not always quick to commit to marking anything on the calendar to keep the friendships alive and going. I'm just a bit recluse that way. Oh ya, back to the topic at hand - working out... The only other real success I've had with working out was when I had my friend Lara, who's also a personal trainer, train me for a month and a half or so. I committed to it until we bought our new house and at that point I decided that it was money we should save rather than spend on my well being (excuses excuses!). I actually showed up 2 times a week when Lara was training me and she worked me out HARD! Then I got pregnant. Pregnancy was an excuse not to do much of anything, so I ate horribly the first trimester and proceeded to do what you do when you are pregnant and gained weight (the last trimester couldn't have helped...I ate ice cream EVERY night!). Here I am, 5 months after Hailey was born and still carrying that extra weight. So to make this really happen, I signed up for a 5k. Now I HAVE to train. My goal is to run the whole thing. My latest accomplishment was running 20 consecutive minutes on Monday. That sounds so easy, but for the non-runner it was a feat I was very proud of. After the big race on September 12th the big question is: What's next?

Obviously the theme of this post is all about what comes next. There's a lot of uncertainty in our future which is really quite fitting considering the commitment issues I just wrote about.

I have quite a bit more on my mind that I'd like to share... Including (but not limited to) my frustrations with my new and not so improved post pregnancy brain. It seems to have lost quite a few cells through child birth and this has been weighing heavy on my mind lately. But alas, you are spared for now as it's about that time when I should be heading to bed and giving this poor brain a recharge.

Au Revoire

July - Whirlwind month!

Hey there, it's been quite busy over here. Here's a little overview of what we've been up to the last 2 weeks or so.

Last weekend we drove up to Bellingham to celebrate my nieces 2nd birthday.

We picked up Pete's new Traitor bike while we were there.

This weekend we celebrated my cousin Kelsie and the upcoming birth of her baby.

My mom came before the shower to help set up. She parked in front of our neighbors house in 12" deep river rock and happened to get her heavy car stuck. Pete spent a better part of the morning trying to dig out the car. My dad and his friend showed up to help. They ended up using our truck to tow the car out. This is the cat leg neighbor...and we have a feeling that he purposely put 12" deep river rock in front of his house so that people would learn their lesson and never park in front of his house. He's a bit crazy from what we know of him...

Our cat Willy decided to show up at the start of the shower after being gone for over two months. We can only recall him coming home one other time since Hailey was born. Just the week prior I had decided that he must have been dead or a neighbor moved away and took him with. He's still very large, as if he's been eating canned food...or bunnies. One nice thing is that he's purring now. It was strange how he seemed to have lost his purr every other time we'd seen him. Now he's very friendly and happy to see us (although he is begging to be let back outside).

In an effort to flee the baby shower Pete was involved in a head on collision. He made it sound like a fender bender when I talked to him on the phone (he didn't tell me the airbags deployed because he didn't want me to worry)...so we carried on with the shower.

He was lucky and only suffered a welt on his arm from the impact of the airbag.

The car that hit the truck didn't fare so well. Everyone in the other car walked away uninjured.

After the shower I picked up Pete from the side of the road. He had been walking towards home after the truck was towed away... We headed down to Renton River Days to see what the fuss was all about. It was HOT. Pete bought me my very own sling (I've been borrowing Kim's)!

Today was HOT again. Hailey tried on a dress that I wore when I was a baby. Here she is modeling it. :)

Pete helped me finish the bird mobile. It was really hard to get it to balance so we changed the method and got it done. Pete hung it just before Hailey's bedtime. She LOVES it!

After Hailey went to sleep I went out the door to complete Day 2 - Week 4 of my 9 week 5k running plan. I really didn't want to go, but Pete reminded me that the 5k I signed up for is on Sept 12th and with that, I faced the heat and completed my run. My goal is to run a 5k. I have bigger running goals, but I figured this is a start...since in general I hate running. This plan has been great though, it starts off really easy with walking/jogging intervals and each week it increases the run time.

Tomorrow we go back to work. Yup, that's right...I'm still working. It's gotten much better and I'm doing pretty well pumping. Once Hailey started sleeping through the night (just over a week ago - maybe 2) I pump at 11pm and 1st thing in the morning (when I'm full from skipping the 4am feeding). Speaking of pumping.....I just realized that I haven't yet pumped tonight and it's 12:30am! Ack! Pump, then bed.

Hope you all enjoyed the beautiful weekend!!

In case you forgot...

I hate sewing.

I was reminded of this tonight as I tried to work on a special project for a special someone who my mom and I are throwing a baby shower for this Saturday.

I had just finished the project when I tried to demonstrate my minor 'issue' to Pete and the thing I was working on fell apart in my hands. More like TORE apart. So Pete suggested this simple way to fix my problem. I tried...and I've now spent entirely too much time on it and it's now seeming like a lost cause. I bet I could have made another 10 of these things in the amount of time I've spent trying to fix my one problem project. Ug.

You can see my spot of blood on the project as well as my attempt to 'fix' with ribbon and zig zag stitching.... yup....I put my finger on the rotary blade as I was attempting yet another dumb idea type remedy.


Next time I mention sewing on this blog it better be something along the lines of me selling my sewing machine....


Working mom: Part 2

I had asked my boss if we could arrange for me to have a reduced work schedule upon my return. I asked for a 30 hour work week and the following is the schedule I came up with.

Monday - Office
Tuesday - Work from Home
Wednesday - Office
Thursday - Office
Friday - Work from Home as needed

Hailey's Grandmother Cassandra (aka Lita) is coming over on Mondays and Wednesdays and my mom is taking Hailey on Thursdays.

I felt so guilty as I walked through the front door yesterday. I don't know if that feeling will go away or what just yet. I could tell Hailey really had fun with Lita...she was all grins and couldn't stop looking at her and smiling when we got home. I wanted her to act like she had missed me, but she didn't seem like she did. I guess it's a bit early for her to get into acting. And I don't really want to be a stage mom....

We discovered that Hailey ate 14oz while Lita was here...and I pumped a mere 7oz while at work...so that made me a bit nervous. I didn't get as many pump breaks as I would have liked. I pumped twice and I think 3 times would be a bit better. I tried to pump last night and it seemed to be a dry spell. That made me even more nervous. :( If it comes down to staying home so Hailey can have breast milk, I'll do it. We really don't want to get into the formula business and I value that more than a paycheck I guess.

I just heard that someone dropped a little envelope off at my desk. Maybe it's the key to the mothers room! That would be wonderful and would make me less nervous to go in tomorrow. Yesterday afternoon I finally got a sign up sheet emailed to me (after leaving quite a few messages with various people). I signed the doc stating that I wouldn't loan out my key, etc and turned it in. So official...

More on the 'going back to work' adventures later. Time to get away from the laptop for a bit. ;)

1st day in the life as a working mom

Here I am, sitting in my cube.

Trying to write a blog post without getting caught surfing the web is more difficult than I thought. You see, our team moved from the 6th floor down to the 1st floor. My cube is more like a stall and my computer screen is not so hidden to the passer by.

Why would I dare waste company time by writing on my personal blog you ask? Well you see, coming back from maternity leave is like being an alien landing on earth. These people weren't prepared for me. I don't have network access. The phone in my cube is dead. The boxes I'd packed up are locked in a storage cabinet and no one seems to have a key. Thankfully I had taken my laptop home during my time away.

I've called about 12 different people and left messages about these various issues. So far one person has called me back. The fact that about half of the people I called are on vacation might contribute to the lack of returned calls...but come on, if you're the Leave Of Absence contact and you knew one of your LOA employees was coming back to work on one of your vacation days wouldn't you try to make arrangements so that employee wouldn't come back to earn a paycheck only to be sitting in a cube not able to do a penny of work? I would.

My biggest task of the day has been trying to get a key to the 'Mothers Room'. This special room is where mothers go for a special break. Okay, who am I kidding...it's not that special. We go there to pump. The person in charge of this room and the keys to this room is out on vacation until July 20th. Our admin is super awesome and she so kindly taped up some wrapping paper on the giant window in an office up on the 6th floor (remember I'm now on the 1st floor). I took my stuff up there and closed the door only to find out there was no lock on the door. This office location was not in a very remote location, so the lack of lock was a no go for the pumping feat. I located another pumping mom and was able to borrow her keys to the mothers room for the time being. She is still needing to pump throughout the day, so actually getting the key, going to the mothers room, returning the key, cleaning the parts, and getting back to my desk is quite a long task. I'll be surprised if I get any work in with things going the way they are!

Work? Oh yes, that's what I'm here to do. Right.

I have had 2 meetings today - that's work, right? I feel I would be cheating if I didn't tell you that the 1st meeting was with my team and was only about 5 minutes long. But still...it was a meeting, no?

I also managed to hit up starbucks around 10am. I went with Sarah....who happens to be on my team. So that was almost like another meeting - could it be that I have had 3 meetings already today? Can I please count this important errand as a meeting? I was at T-Mobile when I went on the coffee run....and I was with a T-Mobile employee and I'm sure we must have said something about work at some point along the way....so there, I think I can justify this as yet another meeting.

Whew, so 3 meetings, no network access (= no email or calendar), no mothers room key, low cube walls with loud neighbors, very minimal brain function (which is GREAT on a day that I failed to get much sleep the night prior) and on a more positive note, my husband is sitting 5 floors above me!! :)

Okay, it's time to go on a hunt to find keys...my body told me it would like to go take a break from this stressful blog writing. Did I mention that I'm trying to make it look like I'm working...and that I'm trying to hide the fact that I have this blog page open? That's why it's stressful.

Adventures in Computer Land

**I removed the video because it starts playing when you visit my page...I need to work on a solution to that problem before I post more videos.**

Hailey's new thing is to type on the computer. She gets a bit frustrated if I have her in my lap at the computer and I don't let her 'play' on the keyboard. I'm surprised all the keys are still working, there's been quite a bit of drool dripping (see video).

4 Months

I can't believe it's been 4 months since Hailey was born!

Everyone always says Hailey looks so little (after they say how much she looks just like her dad) and then they always seem to ask if she's growing. Good news - she IS growing just fine.

Our Hailey is a petite little girl - that's just the way she is.

Here are her 4 month stats as of yesterday:
11lbs 9oz (25%)
23.5" long (40%)

These days you can find Hailey chowing down on her hands...and drooling all over the place.

Hailey has wild hair! After a bath its real fluffy. It seems to grow very straight and it tends to grow forward. We generally give her a comb over, though getting it to lye flat is a challenge as we have to continue brushing it until it's dry (or else it goes wild). She has a cowlick which makes the back portion of hair stick up. Pete suggested last night that maybe we should change where we part her hair so she doesn't have such a comb over...but upon inspecting and evaluating the situation, he decided that we were doing the best we could with the situation at hand. You bald headed baby owners are lucky - just grab the kid and go! No fussing over hair...that must be nice.

Hailey started squealing the other day. I think she just does it for fun...it's a bit loud and obnoxious.

She loves to stand in the corner of the couch. She's pretty good at it too!

I randomly find Hailey boogers on my arms throughout the day - a true sign of motherhood...

I stopped in at Molbaks yesterday - I'd never been. Since I don't have many flower beds here at our new house, I skipped buying live flowers...and instead...bought these totally ridiculous huge fake daisies for Hailey's room. I got 50% off because I mentioned that a leaf was torn and the gal at first said 20% off...and then went all the way down to 50% when I stood there thinking about it a bit more (and I can't pass up a good deal...so I caved). I also bought some pretty wrapping paper and I intend to cut some of it out and frame them with some frames I have lying around. I figured that's a cheap way to get some wall art...right? I'm hoping this will add a little something more to Hailey's room. I never felt like I quite finished decorating her room...so maybe these little touches will help me feel like it's a bit more done.

Now here's a note from Hailey (she likes trying to type):
0=............ 7ingvpo,,,,,/..

Hailey's Bedtime

Every night we do the same thing as a nightly bedtime routine.

1. change diaper
2. change into pj's
3. read 2 books
4. hugs and kisses from mommy & daddy
5. crib time

Hailey has caught on.

By step 3 she takes on a new personality. She protests this night time ritual by using that cute little voice and those sad tears.

She used to enjoy our reading time - now it's just a sign of what's to come. As soon as the 1st book opens, it's time to whip out the tears.

We are finding that book time if often accelerated with a simple "the end" and the closing of a book.

We put her in the crib and she cries a little more...and then - silence.

Hailey's 1st *real* photo shoot

This first picture pretty much sums up the day. It was nap time, she had red splotches on her body and she was NOT happy to be having pictures taken.
I think this picture perfectly sums up the girls... Hailey is just 'there' and Ella the fun little girl always and Sylvia in her own little world. Oh, and Kim and me being our normal selves - but with kids now.

Hobbies and things

I know I've written about this before, but here I am, back at it.

I used to stunt motorcycles. I LOVED it. It wasn't for show, or for being one of the first girls around doing wheelies...it was purely because I was in my element and loved doing it. It was me.
Call it bad luck or whatever, but some pretty crappy things happened which caused me to put stunting on hold (a bike was stolen, I had mechanical problems, etc).
Then Pete and I got married and from that point on we've been quite busy with married things and I hadn't spent too much time thinking about my motorcycle hobby. I sold my motorcycle last May because I wasn't happy with my new problem bike and because we were buying a new house and it seemed the money would be useful in a down payment. We still have Pete's bike...which I rode a few times up until I got pregnant 3 months into our marriage.
So here I am. A wife and mother.

Pete wants me to have a hobby and I do too. I tried sewing, but if you remember, it just wasn't for me. I've racked my brain, but all I come back to is my love of stunting and how much I miss riding.

So the battle in my head begins. Do I quit my hobby because it's more dangerous than say...sewing or scrapbooking? Stunting can be dangerous when you don't know what you're doing, but I pride myself in being a smart stunt rider and by taking small steps in my learning so as not to do something stupid and crash hard (crashing is part of the game, but much like horseback riding, it's knowing how to fall that saves you).

So to make my mental turmoil even worse...my stunt friend Jessica and her buddy Alicia came up from California this past weekend to do a stunt show and they stayed at our house.
Watching them ride was fine and all, but deep in my heart I wished so badly that I was riding with them.

My purpose for riding is not so I can do shows. I want to ride for my love of the sport. Sure, if I was offered to be paid to do a show sometime down the road...I might do it (who wouldn't want to be paid for doing something they love?) - but that is not my goal or motivation and I won't be upset if I never do a stunt show.

I feel like stunting is a part of me and right now, I'm a bit lost without it.

Selfish? Maybe. I don't really see anything wrong with being a mom with a hobby though... as long as it's not interfering with my parenting I'm just not sure it's a problem.

Do I want my little girl to look back and see that her mom stunted motorcycles? Heck ya I do! Sure my time will be much more limited now, but at least down the road I'll be able to tell Hailey that she can do anything she sets her mind to and be a living example of that.

I don't know where I'm going with this...but I guess stay tuned to see where this goes - if anywhere at all....