I try not to pay attention to how often she eats at night (I try not look at the time), but I am pretty sure she's up 2 times between 12 (when I've been going to sleep) and 6am (when she seems to have some awake time). Pete was pretty sure she slept a 5 hour stretch last night, but I kind of remember feeding one time at some point? Though I'm in such a daze at night, I could be wrong...
On the 2nd day of Charlotte's life she showed signs of colic. She was extremely fussy and nursing wasn't the cure. There seemed to be no cure. She would cry for 4 hours straight between 12am and 4am...and that lasted 3 nights. I called the pediatrician and we reviewed everything I had eaten over the previous few days. I had been eating ice cream and chocolate right before bed... She had me eliminate chocolate, coffee and milk from my diet in hopes that we would have a nice and happy baby again. Everything was going well and after about a week I reintroduced milk products. However, I never drink milk straight - it's always processed in some manner.
I ordered a non-fat (out of habit) chai latte from Starbucks the day before last. I've been havingsoy chai latte's at home and Charlotte hasn't reacted to them but somehow I ordered non-fat instead of soy and we have been paying for it. Yesterday was a rough rough day. The evening after I had the chai latte she was super fussy...and it wasn't that she was hungry. She just cried and cried and kicked her legs all about. It continued through the day yesterday. Pete was working from home - great, right? No. He was on conference calls all day...so I was trying my hardest to quiet Charlotte and keep Hailey from bugging Pete. Exhausting! Evening came and I was so happy to hand Charlotte to Pete...but it ended up being a game of hot potato, except our potato was a crying baby. Pete would bring her back to me assuming she must be hungry because she wouldn't stop crying....but nope, she wouldn't eat...so back to Pete she went (he's more patient with her when she's crying like that). She's doing much much better today, but still a little gassy (and it stinks!!). So...for now, I'm going to make sure I don't have any raw milk.
On to the fun stuff:
- Charlotte has a really strong neck and was holding her head up well at 3.5 weeks old.
- She has been a cluster feeder from about 6 or 7pm until 10-11pm...I just kind of get settled on our bed and watch TV while she chows down off and on for hours. I've come to enjoy the time relaxing...but she seems to be more efficient now and isn't eating as often before bed.
- She has a mega double chin!
- She likes to be held upright
- We invented the word "scrying" based on what she does (scream-crying)
- She's starting to coo and I like it!
- In the mornings she sounds all congested and sounds like a pug
- She could be Hailey's twin
- Her hair is wavy and sticks up randomly after a bath