I don't know where to begin. Life has been a bit crazy around these parts.

I guess I'll talk about this 'job' thing I got a few months ago (July 3rd to be exact). I was not really looking for a job at the time, I was busy being a stay at home mom when I got a random phone call...

Let me back up... I received a message on LinkedIn from a recruiter asking if I knew anyone with my kind of experience for a role they were trying to fill. I was a little curious, so I updated my resume and sent it to her - I figured it was a good excuse to update my resume (it hadn't been updated in a LONG time). I even told the recruiter that I was in a great position because I didn't actually need to work. I told her that if something sounded interesting, I might be interested...but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to work. The position she had messaged me about had filled during the time I'd taken to update my resume, so I continued on in life. I started to think about going back to work, and the idea sounded kind of fun, but I had no idea if that's what I really wanted and though I looked at job postings once in a while, I wasn't pursuing it whole-heartedly.

A few weeks later, I received a call from the recruiter and she asked if I could do a phone interview - that very same day! Then the recruiter told me that this company hired the last person based off of a 30 minute phone interview, so I needed to be prepared to make a decision that day. I was kind of shocked and excited at the possibility, but I had no idea if I could decide something so big so quickly. 

I had the phone interview and it went well. A couple hours later, I received a phone call and a job offer. The only caveat was that they needed me to start in 3 days! Thankfully I had mentioned the idea of me going back to work at a recent girls night, and Sarah W excitedly offered up her mommy nannying skills as an idea. I didn't really know if she was serious or what...but with a job offer in hand, we moved forward and hired Sarah as our short term nanny.  

The contract was a 6 week gig, so I figured this would be a great little escape and a good trial period to see if I really wanted to be back at work or not.

My first day was crazy. I showed up and no one really knew I was going to be there. Er, the HR person and the IT guy knew, but that's it. The person who'd interviewed me wasn't in the office and I had no idea what to do. So I asked the guy next to me, and he gave me a little info and told me his first day was much the same. I had been told by my recruiter that I would have a client meeting on my first day - they needed me to start so quickly because I would be managing 2 projects that both had a short 6 week timeline. So I met a couple people and went to the off site client meeting with them. It was in that meeting that I met the person who had interviewed me on the phone. The client was in the room, so I couldn't actually act like I didn't know the person, but let me just say....the whole thing was pretty crazy. At this point, I didn't even know what my job description was.

Things never slowed down. I eventually figured out that I was a Web Producer...and I eventually figured out what that meant. I was pretty stoked to have landed a cool position at an awesome company. I was frustrated with the lack of training or mentor-ship, but I stumbled about, asked questions, and learned the job pretty quickly. Six weeks went by. I had noticed a trend in the office...contractors would come and go. The guys that sat on either side of me both left the company during the first 4 weeks of my employment (one was voluntary, the other was not). My projects got put on hold for a little while and I was worried that I would be sent home before my 6 weeks were up. But that didn't happen. They gave me another project and renewed my contract through the end of the project. And then I received another project and I was very busy (and tired). And then I received yet another project......

I was working long hours and not seeing the girls very often. I was missing out on things at home and starting to question my decision to work when I was reminded that I was a contractor - and I can quit whenever I want! So I thought about it for a few days and decided that it was time. I put in my notice and promptly saw a bunch of sad faces in the office.

I now have 3 weeks left...or less (it depends on when my longer project wraps up). I'm thankful for the opportunity to have worked in such a cool environment. I gained some new skills and brushed up on old. I made some friends and memories. I funded some kitchen remodeling, paid for Hailey's year of preschool and by working, I qualified to refinance our house to a 15 year loan. I built up my self esteem a bit and also updated my closet.

All in all, it was a great experience and I'm happy that I grabbed the bull by the horns and jumped right in the pen. I proved to myself that I can do anything if I believe in myself and I hope I modeled to my girls strength and courage as I jumped into the unknown.

I'm ready to stay in bed late in the mornings (I've been getting up at 6:30am!) and to clean my house (it's been neglected). I'm excited to take Hailey to gymnastics and to school and to spend special one on one time with Charlotte. MOPS just started up and I'm super excited to get back to it and to see some friends I haven't seen in a while.

I'm also pretty nervous about being home again. I tend to go a little stir crazy if I don't get out and do things. I love being at home in my sweat pants - but the more I do that, the more the girls start bouncing off the walls and driving me nuts. I need to find balance. I've already started thinking about projects I can have the girls do, and ways in which I can keep them entertained when we're stuck at home. I'm hopeful that my energy will be renewed and I will be content in whatever happens next.

I may return to work down the road, but for now...I am going to enjoy my babies while they're still my babies. :)